Sunday, September 30, 2012

Lets Go See The Penguins

OK, so we are in a nice comfortable place in the middle of wino country. A great place to stay until we move to Cape Town for the farewell party. But no, there is one more animal stop on the tour and that is the Penguins at Bolder Beach on the peninsula south of Cape Town. So we load up, say good by to Daniele   and Dick and all the animals and off we go in the rain.
First stop is to see some of the rarest animals of the 20th century.  How many can you identify.

Slide show here http://sfe2012.blogspot.com

This place has horses, animals, wine, grapes and some fantastic scenery.



see the strip up the mountain? that is grapes.
 On we go to Simon's Town, home of the penguins.





We arrive in Simmons Town after spotting our dinner spot, check into the Quay Hotel, our first hotel of this trip and set out in search of Penguins. "It is really great", she says, "I saw it on a special on TV (my first warning) and there were penguins everywhere." "On the beach stealing from the sunbathers and they had their own cross walk in town".
So here is what we found:












Twenty hours of flying, thousands of KM in the car, untold amounts of money and it was a zoo. Or close enough to be a zoo.  I saw better penguins in the Boston Aquarium than these guys.

For payback I got to choose the place to eat. We had passed Cape to Cuba restaurant with a "revolutionary hour".  I do anything that is pro-Cuba.  Not that their government is of my liking, but what my government does I have such a strong disliking of.  Our embargo of Cuba is the epitome of what is wrong with our government.  It is only in place because of $$$$ from Cubans who tell me they are Cubans first and Americans second. I have long first hand stories of this BS but I will not bore you with it as, like most Americans, you do not know or care about the policy. Why should you?  It does not affect your daily life.  Did you know a Cuban "American " can fly to Cuba and spend dollars but you a "regular" American cannot? Like I said I will not go into it further other than to say the only reason it is there "is they give too much to the party" and it is what "they want".  It is a fine example of how $$$ from a minority group can control a policy for all America.

But, I digress. So off we go to Revolutionary hour. Now to get there is no easy task.  There is road construction on the little two lane road and it is only one way for about 1 Km.  It takes about 30 minutes to go this 1 Km.  Once we get there it is great.  The food is great, the decor is great and the staff is great.  In the end, after the revolution, it is just us and three other Americans playing cards at the next table.  "You are losing faster than I can win" seems to be the theme of the card game. 


damn! somebody put some liquor in that!



 they even give blankets





I found this picture interesting. Che's picture is being lit by the screen from the credit card machine. He would be rolling over in  his grave if he knew all the money that is being made off his likeness.